Free online course: Science of weight loss
Interested in learning the science of weight loss?
This free online short course by Laureate Professor Clare Collins at the University of Newcastle will have you curious as she dispels diet myths.
ABOUT THIS COURSE
Arm yourself with the knowledge and tools to make healthy eating decisions as you learn the science behind weight loss and dispel diet and nutrition myths.
Whether you are trying to lose weight yourself, or are supporting others, this food and nutrition course will dispel common myths about weight loss and teach you the science behind healthy eating for a healthy weight.
This course is not a diet plan – there are plenty of diet plans out there to choose from. Rather, we will take you through the science behind weight loss and arm you with the knowledge and tools to make the right decisions.
Based on the latest research, you’ll learn to develop a healthy eating plan to achieve a healthy weight. You’ll also discover more about the definition of a healthy weight, the nutritional composition of foods, how to cut calories or kilojoules, proper portion sizes, and how to identify and avoid fad diets.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- Key weight management concepts including measuring body composition, calories and kilojoules, energy density, portion size, and metabolic rate
- The nutritional composition of different foods
- How to use dietary assessment tools and calculate energy requirements
- How to identify features of fad diets and healthy diets
- Key behaviours for successful long-term maintenance of lost weight
- Topic 1. Assessing weight status and setting weight loss goals
- Topic 2. Dietary guidelines and introduction to energy
- Topic 3. Macronutrients and portion control
- Topic 4. Dietary assessment and food and exercise tracking
- Topic 5. Fad diets and risks of rapid weight loss
- Topic 6. Self-reflection and key strategies for successful weight loss maintenance
Date: Wednesday 6 October – Wednesday 17 November (2-3 hours per week)
MORE BLOG POSTS
CELEBRATING NAIDOC WEEK
Celebrating naidoc week Student athletes from the Wollotuka Institute – Jarrod (Basketball), Leroy (Athletics) and Alyssa (Soccer). 20 ways to celebrate: NAIDOC Week 2022 is…Read More >
SPLASH ZONE AND RECREATIONAL SWIMMING IS BACK
Are you looking an option to entertain the kids this weekend rain, hail or shine?
In light of recent changes NSW Government Covid-19 Roadmap, we are pleased to announce our Aquatic Centre is now fully operational for all activities, including the return of recreational swimming without bookings.
WELCOME BACK TO HARBOURSIDE
We are thrilled to be operating again across both locations with The Forum Harbourside, reopening this week.Read More >
CHALLENGE STEPPERS ARE APPROACHING THE FINISH LINE
This week let’s celebrate how far we have all come.
As we approach the finish line, it is amazing to think we have travelled over 420,000 steps or approximately 320 kilometres. This week enjoy the movement that you’ve brought into your daily routine.