As a member of the Elite Athlete Education Network (EAEN), The University of Newcastle is committed to supporting elite student athletes to achieve academic and sporting excellence. The University of Newcastle maintains knowledgeable staff who support the student athlete experience and implement the underpinning principles of the EAEN.
Elite student athletes are supported by staff who can assist them with managing study commitments, provide flexibility around sporting commitments and facilitate access to networking and personal development opportunities.
The University of Newcastle provides elite student athletes with access to sport and academic scholarships, access to premier sporting facilities and opportunities to represent The University of Newcastle in sport.
Elite student athletes supported by The University of Newcastle include (however not limited to) athletes competing in International and National level events, State Institute of Sport endorsed athletes, squad members of The Matildas, NSW Waratahs, Athletics NSW and various National sport competitions. The University of Newcastle has supported elite student athletes competing at World University Games, Commonwealth Games and the Olympics.
Defining Elite Athletes
For athletes and coaches to access the support identified within the guiding principles of the Elite Athlete Education Network, they must be identified and recognised, or be a member of one of the following organisations as an 'elite athlete or coach.'
- Australian Institute of Sport
- State Institutes or Academies of Sport
- AFL Players' Association
- Australian Cricketers' Association
- Rugby Union Players' Association
- Rugby League Professionals' Association
- Australian Basketballers' Association
- Australian Professional Footballers' Association
- National squad members from Sport Australia funded sports
- Senior/head coaches from state and territory institutes/academies of sport, national teams from Sport Australia funded sports or participating professional sports.
Information for current UON students
Recognition as an elite student athlete at the University of Newcastle may assist to support you through your degree with flexibility around:
- Assessment deadlines
- Exam dates
- Tutorial attendance requirements
- Timetabling assistance
- Cross-institutional study options
Elite athletes who have represented the University of Newcastle in their sport are eligible for complimentary membership* to The Forum Sports & Aquatic Centre, University and The Forum Health & Wellness Centre, Harbourside.
Application for Elite Athlete Status - Current University Of Newcastle Students
Use this application if you are currently a student of, or you have accepted an offer to study at, the University of Newcastle.
Supporting documentation must be attached and may include items such as:
- A statement or letter from the High Performance arm of your sport's state/national body
- A statement or letter from your coach detailing how your achievements fit within the high performance / elite framework of your sport
- News articles or results that provide evidence of your achievements / elite status.
Note: Applicants must be participating at an elite level in a sport that is governed by a body recognised by Sport Australia. See the list here.
Application Form - Current Students
Information for future UON students / school leavers
The University of Newcastle recognises and supports your talent as an elite athlete.
When gaining entry to the University, you may be eligible for up to four adjustment points to be awarded towards your selection rank, making your rank more competitive.
To apply, you must first submit a UAC application, and then complete the online Elite Athlete Form (located on this page).
Elite Athletes will also have access to a range of support services to help balance the demands of study with your sporting career.
Application for Elite Athlete Status - Future University Of Newcastle Students
Applications for semester one 2024 close at midnight on Sunday 5th of November. Successful applicants will be sent confirmation of status as an Elite Athlete and details will be provided to the University of Newcastle admissions team.